Gospel Thoughts

Thoughts from my gospel doctrine class at the Cascade First Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Also, general gospel thoughts not related to any particular lesson. Subject to revision at any time.

Name:
Location: Orem, Utah, United States

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Major life-changing lessons (general post)

LIFE-CHANGING LESSONS

There were several events where the Spirit pointed out something that changed
my life.

1. My first "Lord playing chess" experience with impossible events, was when I was a senior in high school. The teacher in one class asked the seniors to help correct some freshman papers. I received the paper for a girl. She seemed to be quite smart, and had a very good score.

A couple weeks later, I met her in the school hall. She was short, and quite likeable. We became good friends for several years after that, and went on quite a number of dates. She probably kept me from committing suicide, since I was very lonely at that time.

When I joined the Church, she wasn't interested. She said she was agnostic, churches didn't matter. We eventually split up. She said she was never going to get married.

I have since seen many incredible experiences with the Lord playing chess. Most of them happened after Jerrie Lyn and I started going to the temple once a week, instead of once a month

2. In an Institute class soon after I joined the Church, the teacher pointed out D&C 93:1. He only said this verse is the gospel in a nutshell. Decades later, after reading a lot of books, and being inspired in the temple, I understood the verse.

Brother Orville Gunther, sealer in the Provo and then Mount Timpanogos temples, also former president of the Provo Temple, pointed out 2 Nephi 9:41. This is similar to D&C 93:1. There is a better word than "gate" in that verse.

3. The same Institute teacher told a lesson about marriage. He said that many young women marry outside of the Church, thinking they will convert their husband and later be sealed in the temple. 90% of them wind up sadder and wiser.

The Spirit immediately put a thought into my mind. Of those who are first married in the temple, 100% are married in the temple.

I realized that the right way to be married, is to marry in the temple. I then spent the next 10 years, looking for a girl who insisted on being married in the temple. Went through quite a few girls who wanted to put their meathooks into me. They seemed to be as well off as Baptists or Catholics, for their lack of deep interest in the gospel. I was reading Church books by the dozen.

4. In the Brigham Young priesthood manual about 2002, there was a lesson on work. Brigham Young basically said that if the streets of the celestial city are paved with gold, it is because people dug the gold out of the hills, refined it, and used the refined gold to pave the streets.

That meant that even in the Celsstial Kingdom, everything is accomplished by work. Work is pervasive -- it is seen everywhere. D&C 9 is an excellent example of required work. There is no such thing as magic. If something happens, it is because someone did it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home