Gospel Thoughts

Thoughts from my gospel doctrine class at the Cascade First Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Also, general gospel thoughts not related to any particular lesson. Subject to revision at any time.

Name:
Location: Orem, Utah, United States

Monday, February 01, 2010

Hill Cumorah Pageant Rain (General Post)

HILL CUMORAH PAGEANT EXPERIENCE

While I was living in Toronto, Canada, I went at least twice to the Hill Cumorah pageant with the Young Adults in our stake. That was quite an experience.

The first time, we found a farmer's field near the Hill Cumorah, that many people were camping in. I setup my tent, as did the people with me, setup their tents.

Then I went to the summit of the Hill Cumorah itself, in the afternoon. It was interesting to see the very hill where Joseph Smith talked about finding the gold plates. Didn't see any hole that they were in, that I can remember.

I think it was the second year, that I had a very interesting experience. It was kind of a miserable afternoon. There was intermittent rain. Looked like the pageant wasn't going to be very enjoyable. I got out a large tarpaulin from the Maverik's trunk, to protect from the rain.

I found a good seat near the front of the seating area, about mid-afternoon. A little while later, I looked around. Spotted an old friend from Minnesota, Paul Barbuto. I happily yelled, "Paul!"

We spent the rest of the afternoon together, mostly under the tarpaulin. We played chess and talked.

The Hill Cumorah pageant had a reputation for good weather during the pageant. With intermittent rain still happening, it didn't look like that would be the case that evening.

As the pageant opened, a stake president gave the invocation prayer. He asked that the weather would improve. As soon as the prayer was finished, the rain came to a dead stop. There was no more rain that evening. By the end of the pageant, the sky had mostly cleared. There were stars out.


There was an interesting rumored story about the pageant, that I will mention. It was told at one of the pageants that I attended. One time, the pageant came to the scene where Christ appears in the air.

There was a carload of Mexicans passing on the highway near Hill Cumorah. When they saw that scene, the car came to a screeching halt. The Mexicans spilled out, and fell on their knees. Apparently, they thought the second coming was happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home